Saturday 6 January 2018

Chapter 76 : Hobie Beach Parkrun (B)



Hobie Beach Park Run South Africa (the start)

It is day time therefore our night security guard has left. With our key we open then lock the gate in the tall, heavy thick wall.  We walk down the road past high brick walls and dogs which barks at us.  We come to the main road and head for the zebra crossing. We stand and watch the traffic speed past until we get a break in the traffic and cross to a grassy area near a promenade. We walk down the promenade towards the prominent palm tree. The usual variety of shirts is milling around the palm tree. I find a very friendly group of lady runners.  One of them is from Sydney. An amazing coincidence. She is here because was born here in PE and has links to the area.

We talk and more and more people arrive and by 8:00 am a large crowd is milling around the palm tree. A man with a megaphone asks everybody to move back behind the palm tree. I am behind the palm tree way at the back and wander around and watch as crowds wait for others to move back. Further megaphoning and the crowd inches back.  Everybody seems to want to keep their coveted front spot.

At about 8:15 am the race starts and I look at my watch. It takes over one minute before I move. Everybody around me starts walking. I run as much as possible. Dodging, swerving, passing and avoiding walkers and runners.


After about 2 kays the path diverts onto the beach and we run on sand which is surprisingly easy and enjoyable. We then arrive at a rocky area. I rock hop and then run on sand and then I encounter another rock hopping area. I suppose I really could run this area if I really had to but today I don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment